Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

About the Community Champion role

Community Champions can come in all shapes and sizes.

Everyone is welcome to join. The only restriction is that you'll need to be a Derbyshire resident and aged 18 or over.

You might already help out in your local community or you might feel that now is the right time to step up.

You might be retired, working, a member of a local community group, help out at a youth club or just be a trusted local face.

We'd also like to hear from people working with people whose first language isn't English, the travelling community, faith groups, young people and ethnic groups.

You can support your local community as much or as little as you like.

There's no minimum commitment required – just a passion for helping out.

This could be from simply passing on information, holding online information sessions with local groups or even knocking on doors to hand out information (from an approved social distance of course).

Every little helps, and ensuring that people have access to trusted, up-to-date information can help us all to combat coronavirus more effectively.

Concerns and reporting

You might have heard about COVID marshalls. We'd like to make it clear that the Community Champion role is not an enforcement or regulatory role and there is no expectation that you act in that capacity.

However, if you're concerned about serious breaches of the guidelines, then you can choose to report these.

Reporting those who are not following the government COVID-19 regulations

If you are concerned that a business or venue is not following the government's COVID-19 regulations, you can report it to the relevant district or borough council that the business operates in.

If you feel there is a significant issue or serious breach of the restrictions you can report this to Derbyshire Constabulary online.

Staying safe

Don't put yourself into situations that might endanger you or others, especially young people or vulnerable adults.

You can report any concerns you might have about an adult online at the Derbyshire Safeguarding Adults Board website.

If you have concerns about the safety or welfare of a child you can find out more on our website.

Next steps

If you are an individual who would like to become a Community Champion, please contact your relevant district contact. They'll then get in contact with you directly to discuss the next steps.